Throughout high school, I felt like the pimpliest, most greasy-faced kid in my class. It was really a cute time for me. I’d sit under my mom’s enlarger mirror—the kind with a bright light encircling your zoomed-in reflection (very good for self-esteem)—after school each day, examining and poking at my sensitive skin. I had no idea what I was doing. Any hint of impending zit was immediately squashed between my two index fingers and then rubbed raw with witch hazel, an astringent my mom swore by for flawless skin.
On the worst days, I’d boil a pot of water and stick my face over it with a towel covering my head for a makeshift facial-steaming setup: just a high school girl doing regular things trying to open up her stubborn pores and whatnot. It was really a highlight moment of my life in terms of character-building, that’s for sure. Awkward stages are the BEST for that sole reason. I was so self-conscious about my dry and splotchy, but simultaneously oily and blemished, skin that I’d pile on makeup before school and quickly apply more powder to hide shininess between classes. Needless to say, I was probably doing a lot more harm to my skin with the overuse of products and makeup.
Anyway, fast-forward six years, and I definitely don’t have perfect skin still. Whatever. I have accepted it’s genetics and have quit chopping years off my life from stressing about it over my mom’s mirror. I’ve also found a skincare routine that doesn’t wreck my skin; it actually complements it and leaves it in its best condition attainable for me. Combination skin-bearers out there know: it is so hard to find a good skincare routine that fits this strange realm of the derma-verse, but y’all, I think I’ve done it. Check out and try out the (much gentler and kinder) products I now use to get my best skin. Also, being out of adolescent puberty probably helps a whole lot, so for you youngins, just keep powering through.
My Favorite Skincare Products:
1. Neutrogena Naturals Purifying Facial Cleanser ($8): perfect for washing off makeup after a long day.
2. Neutrogena Healthy Defense Daily Moisturizer with PureScreen SPF 50 ($16): light formula that moisturizes and protects skin all day long.
3. CeraVe Skin Renewing Night Cream ($17): ugh, I could go on and on about this yummy cream. By far the best night cream I’ve tried.
4. Blistex Lip Medex Analgesic Lip Protectant ($2): a lip moisturizer that, no joke, moisturizes for hours on end; it’s the only one I’ll use.
5. Cetaphil Skin Cleanser ($15): I use this in the mornings since it’s gentle and calming.
6. Estée Lauder Advanced Night Repair Eye Synchronized Complex II ($58): my secret is that I got a free sample of this guy that I’m making last FOR. EVER.
7. NESURA Charcoal Pore Strips Blackhead Remover ($7): my boyfriend and I like to throw these on before a nice Netflix binge.
8. Aura Cacia Pure Essential Oil, Lavender ($10): a few dabs of this on your neck and temples before bedtime is hea-ven-ly.
9. Eclos Skin Renewal Clay Mask ($6): I’m not a big mask person, but this does the trick every once in a while. It’s not too drying and leaves my skin feeling fresh.